Thursday, October 8, 2009

Death and Education

So The Beast v2.0 has died a premature death. After looking at the pattern and asking around for more information I finally got a good look at what the finished item should be... not really what I wanted. Plus I think the person I'm knitting it for wouldn't like it as much as what I am now going knit. So I frogged it and am starting in on a new project for her.
My knitting has shifted down gear over the past two weeks. I'm still putting in time every day but more like 4 hours instead of the 6 to 8 I was doing. I feel sort of guilty but I am getting more done and spending more time with my son.
Another project I'm working on is a trade of trades. My massage lady is giving me some free massages in exchange for computer lessons. I think it's going great. She's a Mac person like me and has just enough skills to be deadly. I'm helping her sharpen those skills and possibly put her sculpting and puppet making businesses up on the internet. The lessons so far have shown how much I don't understand about certain things... her questions are great and often are my questions so we research it together. Today I've really opened up so much new stuff with my Gmail account. I was just doing the bare basics for years there but now I'm syncing my contacts with my Mac Address Book and my iCal with my Google Calendar. Next up I'll be getting more into Blogger and seeing what can be done there that I haven't explored.
It's been awhile since I really learned something new and exciting on the computer. After college I just slid by but it's so refreshing to try out new stuff and make new connections with programs I thought I knew. This type of learning has been sorely missed the past few years. I didn't know it until now. I'm glad to find a new outlet for my creativity and learning.
In addition to trading trades with one person I'm also about to embark on doing it with another. More computer stuff so this is great. I missed working. Even though actual money is not moving around at least I'm getting a break on services and getting my skills sharpened again. I feel productive, wanted, and inspired. Not bad for a Thursday.

3 comments:

Daisy said...

Do you have any idea how I can set up Blogger so that when I leave a comment on someone's blog it gives them my email address (if they're set to receive comments to their email address)? I've been looking all over the place & can't find out how to do it.

SerineKat said...

Girl I have no idea... probably doesn't do that... let me google it and research it a little. If I find an answer I'll let you know.

SerineKat said...

Ahhhh it isn't possible because Blogger wants to keep you from getting spammed!
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/blogger/thread?tid=64fac9a0f71ce747&hl=en