Sunday, February 1, 2009

All Alone

My mother in law has flown the coup back to potato land. Today was my first day alone in two weeks. I got about 6 hours of good cleaning and baby wrangling in before me and wrists were fried. Granted, I pushed pretty hard on the cleaning but I just wanted some stuff done. Tonight The Husband and I went to a co-worker's house for the Super Bowl.
I realized this afternoon I've been reluctant to go to his work functions for a long while. At first it was because of the baby or my diabetes. True, these things do take their toll but to keep me from going to like 80% of the social functions we are invited to is just silly. In truth I admit I've been a recluse. I have varied reasons and none justifiable. I almost put the kilbosh on tonight's affair and sent my husband and son without me, but I finally realized that I was not doing myself, husband or family any good by staying home. Sure I need rest but I also need to socialize more. Since getting married and moving like nomads I've really lacked local friends. Tonight was a total success. Sure I was hurting but I finally just dumped the baby on my husband with the other men in the TV room and went with the ladies to play games in the back. It was nice to talk to them and laugh and it was good to support my husband and his interests (beer and football).
I vow to be more social in the future.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

I need to vow a similar thing! It's very easy to start staying in...

SerineKat said...

I know, and we're too young to be called 'shut ins'. If we keep this up we'll have like 40 cats start smelling... dude, we already knit... we're walking a thin line.