Thursday, April 16, 2009

April Showers

It's been miserable here in West Virginia. Rain, and nothing but rain. Today we were fogged in in the morning and now the sun is finally out. Hunter, The Cheat and I are all outside enjoying the weather.
I finally got my hair done. It's been a year. The dog has been to the groomer three times already this year! I finally told The Husband that dog grooming is on hold until mom gets a grooming. I kept the length in my hair and had my blonde heavy highlights redone. The only drastic change I made was that I went back to my whispy bangs. I haven't had bangs since college. I grew them out for my wedding thinking that I'd look better. I never did. Infact I think it make me look older and more tired. Since my hairdo on Tuesday I've been happier with the person I see in the mirror. She looks 5 years younger and happier. Crazy how a hairdo can really make you feel and look better.
My trip home was a bittersweet one. So much to do and so little time. Everyone wanted to see us, which was so nice. It's been a struggle to be away from my family and friends and in an environment where making new friends is challenging.
Most of you know by now that while I was home I got to see my black lab Hillary one last time. She was 16 and really not able to walk well anymore. She still had that wicked twinkle in her eyes. The moment I saw her I knew we'd be putting her down while I was home. We always wish that our animals will pass in their sleep but they never do. While I was in Oregon mom and dad put Hillary down. I am sad that I couldn't be there with her to make her comfortable but I am happy to know that she had an amazing life for a dog. She got to watch movies in a movie theater I used to manage, she spent the night several times in the residence halls at the University of Idaho, she traveled throughout the Northwest, she had a great career as a Rick's assistant at the engineering firm every weekend, she was a regular on my mother's latte runs every morning... a human would me so lucky to have such a life.
I sure do miss her. She was my partner in crime when I was in high school and she never judged me when I went through trouble. All she asked for was some petting and food, any food. With Hillary gone there are now no animals left alive from my childhood. I really do feel like an adult now.
Speaking of kids - I think Hunter is starting to melt down. It is time for lunch and then a nap.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Hugs for you as you remember your crazy-wonderful, cat-poop-eating Hilary.
And, Dude, are you going to post a photo of the new hair-do? Please?

Lois E. Lane said...

I got my hair done, too (finally)! It really can change your attitude...

Daisy said...

Aw, I hate it when you have to have an animal put down. I know it has to be done, but it doesn't make it any easier...