Thursday, May 14, 2009

Reality's a B*tch

I've been a big fan of the show 'Jon and Kate Plus 8' which airs on TLC. The idea of two parents with two sets of multiples was too tempting NOT to watch. At first I really liked the family and loved to watch how they coped. Now it's like nails on a chalkboard. Over the past season the love is no longer there between Jon and Kate and the heart of the show is just dead. Many articles and websites are now talking about how the kids are being used to make money and so forth.
While I think the idea of making kids work to pay for your life is wrong I don't see a legal issue with watching the Gosselin kids grow up - that's if it's done right and everyone agrees it's ok. While for awhile it seemed like the family and show were doing fine living side by side that is no longer the story.
The media now reports that Jon is having and affair and then Kate is having one too. Kate is doing all sorts of promotion for a new book while Jon hides out at their home. This isn't a family I'd like to know and/or watch. I don't care how cute those kids are - this drama is going to make them crazy in no time flat. What really kills me is that Jon, on the show, has been trying back away from the series and asked for a break. Kate flat out denied Jon, on the show, that luxury. What the heck? Why would anyone want to air their dirty laundry in public? Granted that is the new trend but these two seemed so normal and non-celebrity... until recently when Kate started the last season all decked out in Ann Taylor and high heel boots to check out puppies on a farm.
I'm now joining in the increasing chorus of viewers who think TLC needs to pull the plug on this one. They are promoting a new season but at the same time media outlets are reporting that two are about to divorce. This is just one instance where I think the parents and media have gone too far - stop doing the show - stop airing the show and give these kids some stability and privacy. Also, get Kate to therapy - the woman is off her rocker to pressure everyone to continue and to keep doing a book tour in the middle this. Are you serious Kate?! Your marriage is on the rocks and you leave your 8 kids to go on a book tour?!

As a sidebar: I can say that one thing this show has done is improve my relationship with my husband. Seeing how rude and disrespectful Kate is to her husband on the show really opened my eyes. She rarely praises him and constantly interrupts him. The poor guy doesn't stand a chance when she's in the room. That's no way to treat someone you love. She yells at him on camera and always on him for this or that. Really, Kate?! Come on, he's an adult now girl, let him figure it out!

2 comments:

Lois E. Lane said...

Your sidebar couldn't be more dead-on. I often watch in disbelief at the way she treats Jon. No excuse for that!

Lois E. Lane said...

I think it's time for a follow-up to this, eh?