Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Wrist Strong


Like Stephen Colbert I now realize the importance of the wrist. It's a nifty little joint that when working is like a ballerina, so swift, graceful and talented. When something goes wrong with the wrist life loses it's gracefulness and beauty.
i have struggled with my wrists for about a year now. It became noticeable during my pregnancy and then raged last month. I had numbness and pain. The numbness consumed my hands and the pain shot up through my elbows and into my shoulders.
I finally saw the neurologist today and the diagnosis was confirmed - carpal tunnel in both wrists. The condition is common in my family and isn't totally surprising. For many years now I've been typing up a storm on computers, doing downward dog during yoga and knitting. All these activities have slowly become more taxing on my wrists and hands. I knew in college that I was on the road to this condition... I'm just surprised that it happened at 29!
I'm now waiting to see a surgeon about a proceedure for both wrists. I'm also going to buy myself a WRIST STRONG bracelet. We must protect our wrists!

No comments: