Saturday, December 6, 2008

Amsterdam


Oh sweet Amsterdam. The Husband and I visited there two years ago. Such potential and such a disappointment. The legalization of drugs and sex there have really trashed the old city center. We were approached often with offers for stronger harder drugs like crack and cocaine. The hash and maryjane were sold openly in coffee shops and even had their own menus. The sex district was dirty (literally and otherwise) and full of drug dealers.
The museums, canals, bikes, and architecture were awesome. It was just such a disappointment to see so much vandalism and so many vagrants obviously drugged out on the streets. It's definately not a family friendly city... more like spring break gone terribly wrong.
Today on CNN.com was this article. It's about the government of the Netherlands clamping down on the sex shops and drugs. I think it's finally gotten back to the economy that drugged out tourists don't spend as much money as families on vacation. I hope the government and city succeed in cleaning up Amsterdam and it's image. There's so much more to the city than drugs and ugly hookers. There's the Anne Frank House, Van Gogh Museum, and the Cat Museum (I know, it's a hidden gem). The Anne Frank House is so powerful... you get to see where a family hid out for years in close quarters. Van Gogh I could care less about but I went to see the artwork anyhow... it blew me away. I have a whole new appriciation for his work now that I've seen the originals in person. I also went to a coffee house... come on.... when in Amsterdam... but it wasn't the highlight the city. As for the sex district, it's a good reminder as to what happens when you are hooking in your 40s after having 6 kids.... scary.

No comments: