Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day 4

Each day on my own gets a little better and exposes new cracks in my routine. Blah. Yesterday ran rather well. The baby and I took a walk with neighbors in the late afternoon... bad idea... forgot to wear sunscreen. Then Hunter had a big dinner of dinosaur pasta and meat balls. He really liked it. Once in bed I went about cleaning out the pit which is my bedroom. Ugh, it got really cluttered with all the packing and unpacking of the last month. It took a good 3 hours to get it back together again. I was too pooped to noticed that I never had dinner last night, nor lunch today. That's the crazy thing about having a husband 'away for work'. I have totally lost my appetite. I know this isn't all good but it isn't all bad either... I'm a binge eater so this lack of hunger is impressive for me. I wonder how long it will stay with me. In any case I'm re-stocking the house with more healthy foods for when I do remember to eat.
Today was the big FRG meeting. We had it at the park on base. Not a great idea but there was little to talk about and cover so it went quickly. My involvement is much less than last year. This partly due to choice and partly due to some strange phenomenon that I can't put my finger on. Everytime they ask for volunteers for something I raise my hand... but they never call and invite me to meetings... It's like they don't want me to get my hands too far into the group. Strange. I want to say something but after my experience last fall I've learned that officer wives just need to stay on the sidelines and try not to rock the boat. So I'm standing on the side, very still.
My social life is a work in progress. Many nights I prowl the streets of the base and corner people out for walks or on their porches and talk to them. I don't care if I know them or not. I just talk to them. I take my son and dog as social lubricants. They can always help move a conversation and keep things interesting. Some people are catching onto my game and I can see them rolling my eyes when I come towards them with my stroller and dog attached to my hip. I don't care. I need to talk.
I am lining up some more babysitting days for Hunter. Today I got the morning off and tomorrow I get a whole day! This is long over due but worth the wait. I still have lots to do around the house and when I clean bathrooms and use chemicals it's best not to have him around at all.
Speaking of cleaning. I've gone broke with a new cleaning purchase... the Haan steam cleaner. It's for hard floor surfaces and more. I've been using a Swiffer for sometime and the residue from the pads is gross and never quite goes away and the money put into buying new pads sucks. With our entire first floor made of a pergo like material I figured a steam cleaner that uses only water might be the best. I went midrange with this Haan package. Hopefully I will be impressed. I'll keep you all updated.

No comments: